Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Faculty and Staff Accounts

All students, faculty, and staff are required to have a valid VolCard ID. The VolCard is essential for use in many university facilities and programs such as identification, building access, libraries, etc. The VolCard account is a campus wide debit account, and when activated on your VolCard ID, it can be used for vending, for food purchases at campus dining facilities and participating off-campus merchants, and for VolShop and VolTech purchases. The Dining Club account is a charge account, and when activated on your VolCard ID, it can only be used to make food purchases at Vol Dining facilities.

VolCard Account

An initial deposit is required to activate this account. It is not refundable unless you are leaving the university.

Additional deposits can be made to the account throughout the semester.

VolCard accounts may be cancelled at your request and a full refund will be made of the balance in the account less a $15.00 service fee.

Make an online deposit here.

Dining Club Accounts

The Dining Club account is a charge account that allows you to make food purchases at all Vol Dining facilities. Payment for charges is processed through payroll deduction.

We may accept late payments, partial payments, or any payments marked as being payment in full or as being settlement of any dispute without losing any of our rights under this agreement or under the law. If we accept such payment, this does not mean we agree to change this agreement in any way.

You are responsible for reasonable attorney’s fees and all collection costs incurred by the University of Tennessee or its Dining Services Contractor as a result of default or nonpayment of accounts. Said attorney’s fees shall not be less than one-third (1/3) of the total amount due (principal plus interest). Additionally, you agree to authorize the University of Tennessee and its Dining Services Contractor to place a financial hold on your university VolXpress account for nonpayment. If you are employed by the university, you agree to authorize the University of Tennessee and its Dining Services Contractor to follow Collection Procedures provided by the UTK Personnel Policy.

Payroll Deduction Form

Issuing and Updating Credentials

New Staff Orientation

The VolCard Office must have a university ID number before a mobile credential can be processed. Human Resources will send a roster created from Staff Orientation to the VolCard Office which will include the ID number. If the employee does not have an ID number, the employee’s department should assist him/her in obtaining a temporary ID until one can be obtained. The VolCard Office does not assign ID numbers.

Term Employees or New Staff not Attending Orientation

All university departments should verify that staff/term employees and Friends of the University are in IRIS and have a TNUniqueID number assigned. VolCard credentials cannot be processed until the employee is in IRIS with a TNUniqueID. Once in our system a photo can be uploaded using the guidelines and instructions. After the photo is approved, the VolCard can be downloaded to the employee’s mobile device, iPhone 6s or newer, or Android.

Each department is responsible for requesting building access for their employees through Central Alarm. The VolCard Office does not provide access to buildings.

It is very important to protect our campus; therefore, all individuals must be processed through Human Resources before contacting the VolCard Office.

Department Change

If a department has a name change, a letter is required from the department head stating the new name, an account number, and GL number for billing. The department will be billed for departmental name changes. Contact the VolCard Office to determine the fee for departmental name changes.